Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre is one of the leading sports medicine practices in the world. It is a major teaching facility for registrars from the Australasian College of Sports Physicians. OPSMC is a private clinic which operates as an efficient business for the benefit of all stakeholders.
OPSMC receives a large number of applications for electives each year and it is not possible to accommodate all student requests.
Students are accepted on a non-fee paying basis as part of a commitment to the following Clinic aims. As such, any travel/accommodation costs incurred need to be borne by the student.
- Advance education and profile of Sports Medicine
- Develop future sports physicians for OPSMC
- Enhance profile of OPSMC locally, nationally and internationally
- Develop links between OPSMC and other medical organizations
If you are interested in applying for a medical placement at OPSMC please check the guidelines below and send your enquiries to Tamara Davidson on
for details/available dates.
- All applications to Tamara Davidson by 30th April of year preceding elective calendar year
- Late applications may be denied
- One elective student at a time will be rostered to the clinic
- Where possible elective periods will alternate with non-elective periods
- Blackout months can be declared by the Medical department head no electives will be accepted for February to allow us to fulfill our commitment to Sports physician registrar supervision. Other months will be declared as required
- Each elective student will be accepted for a maximum period of 4 weeks
- A maximum of 4 students will be accepted per calendar year with at least 2 being local students with an interest in sports medicine as a career.
- All applications must be approved by Medical department head.
- Applications must be in writing and include a CV and an appropriate letter from the institution.
- Elective students will receive formal induction to the clinic which includes signing an agreement on privacy and confidentiality
- Any research projects or papers published based on the elective period at OPSMC shall contain appropriate recognition of the clinic and supervisors.
- Electives are with us for 4 weeks and are rostered with professionals from each discipline within the clinic.
- There is the opportunity to observe patient assessment and treatment, and to follow through their care whilst at Olympic Park.
- Where possible opportunities to observe at sporting clubs and events may be available.
- Elective students also participate in the registrar teaching sessions and clinic education meetings.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 February 2013 15:31