Dr Emma Steer has worked with children, adolescents and young adults for over sixteen years within clinical and educational settings. She is passionate about educating and supporting her clients to develop a holistic and balanced lifestyle that promotes positive mental health, resiliency and optimal functioning. In particular, Emma views physical activity as an essential contributor towards lifelong physical and mental health.
Dr Emma Steer works with the general population of children, adolescents and young adults as well as elite and amateur athletes and performing artists.
Emma’s areas of particular expertise include:
- Treatment and management of mental health issues (e.g., anxiety, depression, eating disorders, sleep difficulties, learning and developmental disorders)
- Providing psychological support to young athletes and performing artists
- Pain management for acute and chronic issues related to illness and injuries
- Developing social and emotional competency, self-esteem, confidence, self-efficacy and resilience
- Conducting psych-educational assessments and providing recommendations and strategies for developmental, learning and cognitive difficulties
- Support and management for parents with children who present with challenging behaviours
- Working with individuals who have experienced trauma
Dr Emma Steer utilises practical psychological treatment strategies including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy and general psych-education. Emma is particularly interested in implementing positive psychological approaches to promote a growth mindset and positive mental health.
Dr Emma Steer is endorsed as a professional psychology supervisor and is affiliated with recognised universities and educational organisations in Melbourne. She has current and past involvement as a board member on various committees for Universities, community and educational organisations and charities.
Choose a location to book an appointment now