Emma Steer has been working as a psychologist with children, adolescents and young people in clinical and educational settings for over fifteen years. Emma Steer is passionate about educating and supporting young people to develop positive mental health and optimal functioning. Emma believes physical activity is important for lifelong physiological and psychological health.
As well as working with the general population of children, adolescents and young people, Emma has worked with athletes presenting with clinical issues from the amateur to elite level in a range of sports (e.g., running, swimming, triathlon, gymnastics, rowing, tennis, football and cricket). She also has experience working with performing artists.
Emma’s areas of particular expertise include:
- Treatment and management for anxiety and depression
- Providing psychological support to young athletes and performing artists
- Enhancing self-confidence and self-esteem
- Assessing and programing for developmental, learning and cognitive difficulties
- Developing social competency skills
- Managing challenging behaviours
- Working with children, adolescents and young people who have experienced trauma
- Providing general support and management of physiological and psychological health (i.e., including acute and chronic issues related to illness and injuries)
Emma Steer applies practical strategies and utilises psychological approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Mindfulness training and general psych-education. Emma is particularly interested in implementing positive psychological approaches to enhance positive mental health. She is currently completing the final stage of her Doctor of Psychology (Clinical). For her research dissertation she has collaborated with international researchers to examine flourishing in young people.
Choose a location to book an appointment now