Maria got into massage through a really bad back injury which left her debilitated & not able to work for 15 months. So this started her on a journey to make a fully recovery & get back to running. She saw a team of medical professionals at Olympic Park Sports Medicine Clinic which helped her recover & inspired her to get into Sports Massage, Remedial Massage & Manual Lymphatic Drainage. She always loved all sports & therefore was excited to be able to get involved in helping people get back to their sport and also back to work.
For her first 3 – 5 years she was involved with the Australian Netball Team working with the World championships & the PGA Golf working with the Masters, Australian Open Golf tournaments & Johnnie Walker Classic.
She had a great Journey with the Australian Paralympic Cycling Team for 9 years. Maria was part of the medical team of the Australia in the Paralympics in Sydney 2000 & Athens in 2004. In between, she got to travel to Italy for 6 years doing a training camp & then followed by World or European Championships. The team didn’t have a physio or Doctor on board so she was able to really experiment with Manual Lymphatic Drainage. That’s when she changed her style of massage work to look more at postural work & getting the most efficiency out of the muscles & structures that did work to reach their optimum elite level.
She was fortunate enough to work in Australian Rules Football for 24 years. Maria started with Victorian Police Football for 6 years then moved onto Richmond Football club for 7 Years. In 2004 Maria went to Hawthorn Football Club which she got to be a part of 4 Grand Finals, winning 3 of them 2008, 2013 & 2014.
Career Highlights / Affiliations / Associations
- Sydney 2000 Australian Paralympic Cycling Team winning the most Team medals for Australia
2004 Athens Paralympics
- Hawthorn Grand Finals 2008, 2013, 2014
- Massage Therapist – Australian Netball Team (1993-1996 / 1999)
- Massage Therapist – Ericsson Masters & Australian Open Men’s Golf & Greg Norman Classic (1995-1998)
- Massage Therapist – Prahan & Victorian Police Football Team (1993-1998)
- Massage Therapist – Swimming State, National & International Events (1995-2006)
- Massage Therapist – Australian Open Wheelchair Tennis (1994–2002)
- Massage Therapist – Richmond Football Club (1998–2004)
- Massage Therapist – Australian Track & Field Grand Prix/Nationals (2003-2011)
- Massage Therapist – Australian Paralympic Cycling Team (1999–2008)
- Massage Therapist – Sydney Paralympic Games (2000)
- Massage Therapist – Athens Paralympics (2004)
- Massage Therapist – Hawthorn Football Club (2004-2014)
- Massage Therapist – Olympic Park Spots Medicine Clinic (1997-Present)
Professional Conference Presentations
- Soft tissue forum, Manual Lymphatic Drainage Post Injury (2002)
- 3AW interview with Cherie De Haas on Manual Lymphatic Drainage (1998)
- 3AW Interview with Sue Stanton & Ernie Sigley (2005)
- Dr. Vodder Review – Treating Mastitis (2006)
- Dr. Vodder Review – Treating Compartment Syndrome (2008)
Choose a location to book an appointment now