Sport & Exercise Medicine Physician
Dr Andrew Jowett
MB BS MSc (Sports Med, Uni of London) Hons FACSP
Clinic: OPMSC Since 1995
Medical Director OPSMC
Dr Andrew Jowett realized at a young age that despite his obsession with sport and diverse sporting interests that he was never destined for a career as a sportsman. Throughout his medical training however he maintained his links and interests in sport to develop his expertise combining both passions. This culminated in the fabulous adventure that was the World Cup in Germany 2006 as the Socceroos national team doctor.
On a daily basis Andrew wishes to assist members of the general public achieve their sporting, health and fitness goals by drawing upon his expertise at the elite level as well as his personal sporting mediocrity!
Andrew has special interests in sports such as all football codes, baseball and throwing sports as well as musculoskeletal problems such as exercise-induced leg pain, groin pain, tendon problems and shoulder pain. His masters research was into compartment syndrome and he continues to develop research into groin pain. Over the past 5 years he has also developed his expertise in the use of the Dolorclast radial shockwave unit for treatment of tendinopathy at OPSMC.
Andrew is passionate about Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre and the concept of multidisciplinary sports medicine. He has developed his role at the clinic to take on the position of clinic director to further enhance Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre as a leading provider of sports medicine services, education and training.
Andrew completed 14 seasons as a doctor with Collingwood FC in 2009 one year short of a premiership! He was however appointed as doctor for the AFL International Rules Series against Ireland in 2010 and 2011, providing some consolation with helping to win the Cormac MacNallen trophy. He also remains a medical advisor to Football Federation of Australia having retired after 10 years (and 3 world cup campaigns) as Socceroos doctor. He is on a number of sports medicine and science advisory committees and conference organizing committees. He is a Fellow of the Australasian College of Sports Physicians as well as holding affiliations to Sports Medicine Australia and AFL Medical Officers Associations both as a member and on the executive.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MB BS), University of Melbourne
- Masters of Science (Sports Medicine), 1995, University of London
- Fellowship Australian College of Sports Physicians (FACSP), 1998
- Internship x 3 year residency (includes A & E, Orthopaedics)
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- Socceroos (FFA) National Team Doctor 1996 - 2006
- Collingwood Football Club Team Doctor 1996 - 2009
- Olyroos (National under 23 Olympic Soccer team) Athens 2004
- Melbourne Reds Baseball team – Team Doctor 1995-8
- Coach Boroondara Eagles FC girls soccer 2007-present
Professional Conferences & Appearances:
- Presenter, SPG/APA/ACSP Conference Prevention and Management Osteoarthritis in the Athlete, AIS, 2010
- Conference Convenor, OPSMC 20th Anniversary 2007
- Conference convenor, ACSP annual conference
- Conference convenor Football Australasia 2003, 2008
- Scientific Committee CFC and FFA
Greatest professional sporting moments...
- Australia defeats Uruguay, 16 November 2005, Sydney
- World Cup Germany 2006 (Socceroos Team doctor)
Personal sporting experience
- London Marathon 1995, Australian Rules, Rugby Union